Sunday, April 1, 2012

Baby I Do!

Here is the most recent quilt that I made for my sweet new baby niece, Adeline. It is the Baby I Do pattern from Cherry House Quilts.

It was obviously pretty straightforward, with the exception of the circles. I have never pieced a circle, or anything curvy, before. Fortunately the pattern suggested using Dale's 6 minute circle method. This worked like a charm - those circles are pretty flawless, however, her six minute method took me about twenty! I managed to get it down to about fourteen by the last one, but still. I guess there's a reason my Ravelry name is turtlegurl -- and it's not just because I love turtles.

Baby quilts are the perfect size to practice free motion quilting - big enough to give you time to develop a rhythm, and big enough that little mistakes disappear, yet small enough that you don't have to give yourself a hernia wrestling it through the throat of the machine. I hadn't planned to do it, but decided to quilt around the white pears - they disappeared into the white background on the top ofmthe quilt a little, and were asking for a little extra pop. This is what they look like on the red backing.

I regretted it when I had to tie off and bury all the ends (I could have just made them join up with the rest of the quilting, but I thought this looked better) but it ended up looking cute.

I have quite a few quilting finishes to post soon, just have to upload the photos. In the meantime, here is a picture that I did just upload, this is my baby girl, on the beach in Mexico last year, about to fly off into the stratosphere like the crazy little tinkerbell creature she is.

Thanks for visiting!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, great to meet you and thanks for your comments on my blog :-) Yes, I thought some of the design looked like quilling too, I think I had a go at it when I was about 8! My course is through the School of Stitched Textiles, it's a distance learning course and it's great. Take a look at their website. You can study anywhere in the world - if you have time, which I have little of! I love your quilts by the way. Speak again soon, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate people taking the time to comment, and try to reply via email to everyone.