Sunday, April 1, 2012

What's Going On?

We had a break in The Rain here on the West Coast and the sun brazenly showed us what we've been missing -- bluest skies and warmth on our skin. We planned to go skating this afternoon, but instead ended up enjoying the tropical climate at the Bloedel Conservatory. Prior to the Conservatory and the sun's unexpected visit, I cut out a bunch of patterns. I struggle with finding time to sew (or do anything not-kid-related) with all the kids around, so cutting out patterns on the dining table while they tear apart the living room at least makes me feel like I did something. So, I had a few thrifted t-shirts that I had been planning to make into some "Tee for Two" raglan tee-shirts (I don't see it on the Figgy's website anymore, but some people still have it for sale). I traced various sizes and variations of the pattern for all of my kids, and then cut the fabrics. I have been avoiding sewing knits, even though that's pretty much all that we wear for tops. Inspired by Made by Rae's series on knits, I figured taking the leap with Value Village tee-shirts was pretty safe.

This should keep me busy for a while:


I also cut out some more Valorie Wells voile for another Shearwater Kaftan. I can't wait.






plus









equals awesome.

Since this is a brand new blog, with zero followers, I think I qualify for Lynn's Small Blog Meet Up on Lily's Quilts. It seems like a great way to meet fellow newbies, and I know I've found some lovely blogs there before I started this. If anyone came this way from the New Blog Meet Up, then it's great to meet you!

Lily's Quilts

9 comments:

  1. I found your blog link on Ravelry :) I look forward to all of your sewing FO's. Love the bag from your previous post. Super cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, found my way over from Ravelry! I've been humming and hawing about starting a blog for months and months and finally decided that between reading all the bogs I follow, and spending time on Rav, if I was to blog then Iwould get absolutely nothing done : )
    I look forward to reading more here, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by - Ravelry peeps rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well your blog is looking rather dashing for less than a week old...I will be back to see your posts. You are in Canada right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! Yes, we live in beautiful, but rainy, Vancouver.

      Delete
  5. Good for you for venturing into the world of knits! Are you using your regular machine or a serger? Value Village knits are a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using my serger for the seams and then top stitching with my regular machine. My sewing machine has a habit of trying to eat knits, so putting them together with the serger first seems to help.

      Delete
  6. I've never tried a serger, but it sounds like it would be great for working with knits! I just saw this post on Sewaholic's (she's another Vancouverite!) blog today about working with knits and thought it might be helpful for you: http://sewaholic.net/a-big-list-of-tips-for-sewing-knits/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will check out her links. Yes, the serger sews knits like a hot knife through butter!

      Delete

I really appreciate people taking the time to comment, and try to reply via email to everyone.